There is also a way to measure swingweight with more general-purpose tools: a postal scale and a ruler.
There are only three steps needed:
- measure the club’s total weight
- measure the distance of the balance point (CG) of the club from the butt (edge of the grip cap)
- enter above data into calculator below
- The result of the calculation based on correct measurements is the good approximation, but it is still an approximation. Use it at your own risk.
- A 3 g error in weight or a 6 mm (1/4″) error in distance will result in more than one swingweight point of error in the result. The accuracy of 1 gram and 3 mm (1/8″) is required.
- The calculated value could be smaller than result of measurement with “Swingweight Scale” (max. 1 point), because the calculator uses distance of CG from the edge of the grip (which is correct), while some scales base on the distance from the end of grip, overstating real length of a club.
update: October 2021